samedi 21 décembre 2013

A winter in Paris, prequel...

Posted by John | samedi 21 décembre 2013 | Category: , |

At the origin of this blog were two texts that I sent to Marina already almost 3 years ago. One is called "Les faux pas" and is today the most widely read text of this blog. Yet, another text which prompted Marina to encourage me to continue writing was a small story about the Christmas spirit and the atmosphere in Paris during this time of the year. It's a bit the genesis of everything that has been developed in this space for exchange and sharing. Then, here it is:
Snow, fir trees, skating rinks and regional recipes... Everything is done to put the Parisians in a festive atmosphere. I often say that the best time to visit Paris is Summer, but the city is just as beautiful during Winter, despite the cloudy sky. Indeed, log cabins, ice sculptures, tobogganing or ice skating rinks in altitude have been installed in various locations throughout the city.

The Parisians, but also tourists, can slide on the first floor of the Eiffel tower, at 57m high, on an ice rink installed for the occasion. The success of this attraction makes many people wait in the long winter wind. Fortunately, another outdoor rink is open, free to the public, directly in front of City Hall.

A multitude of replicas of the finest monuments in the world (Mount St-Michel, Montmartre, Big Ben...) were conducted with hundreds of tons of ice. They are also exposed on the Champs-Elysees where is held at the same time the traditional Christmas market. Actually, more than a dozen Christmas markets appear throughout the city to celebrate the holidays. For a gourmet break and warm up with mulled wine. After Paris Plage, here is Paris Mountain! Furthermore, you can also enjoy the great wheel of the Place de la Concorde, just down the Champs-Elysees. Or the huge tree, more than 20m high, sitting in front of Notre Dame. With all the street decorations and shop windows, Paris deserves its nickname of "City of Light".



However, snow falls in abundance and the city can also turn into a nightmare for traffic. Parisians don't seem to really know how to manage this kind of situation, which brings real mess sometimes. Especially since this winter is one of the coldest we've ever known in recent decades.









Who would have thought that this little description of a moment of life have led me to write many more. I thought that today was a good time to expose this story and thus put an end to the blog. As we say in French : "la boucle est bouclée" (we have come full circle). Some say I'm crazy to stop, quitting now while the blog has never been so read is absurd. However, it's been a while that I'm fighting against the fear of the blank page, that my desire to write seems to disappear more and more. Sometimes it's useless to go against nature or turn a blind eye.

Therefore, no tears or regrets. But a big thank you to Marina, without whom none of this would have happened. A special thank you to my friend and sister Renata, who joined me along the way and helped me give life to the blog. A thank you to all of you who took some time to read my adventures, my thoughts, who could stand my humor or witty remarks sometimes. Thank you to all those who have inspired me and led me to reflect and develop my vision of the world.



However, I won't completly lock the door so I can open it one day if destiny guides me here again. Is life not full of surprises? And, Renata will contribute for a last time to this blog with a coming next article about Xmas in Cracow. Then, keep an eye on the next time online!

Currently have 0 commentaires: